Wednesday, 20 July 2011

dos besos

two kisses.

My adventure has taken me a little bit outside of Barcelona to see a friend at his town. I can still recall what his dad said to my friend when we first met each other, ' you've always said to give your friends the two kisses and this time I am not gonna do it..' I was giggling inside cause the way he said it sounds a bit like a grumpy kid running away from kissing an overexcited wrinkly granny.

This is the first time, meeting new friends with an well-understood greeting and I am loving it. Without the confusion of handshakes and awkward hugs, I actually feel like I can call those who I have given the dos besos my friends even though we've only met once. Maybe not as far as giving them my bank details, but when they say 'you should come to my party!' or 'give me a call if you wanna hangout!' (usually with much enthusiasm too) I feel more bonded to say yes or to give out my number.

I am a girl and I try not to overdo it but analyzing things is in my nature (I know some boys do it too), and with zillion ways to greet someone, it's gonna get me tossing and turning every night. what does a props and lock mean? what about a head nod? One kiss on the cheek? A high five? A hug? I suppose it is when we try to weigh appropriateness and intimacy at the same time, then fail, then made it ambiguous, then made things awkward.


The solution to this issue is rather personal and up to preference, therefore I have scraped what I have typed up. When I get to think about it, maybe awkwardness is a greeting in itself, too!



'There's a saying says ''whatever true thing you say about India, the opposite is also true..'' ' - Derek Sivers

No comments:

Post a Comment