Tuesday, 12 July 2011
como estas?
I am in Barcelona on a journey on my own for 2 weeks. At first it all sounded a bit daunting, as I don't speak a word of Spanish and don't know about the culture much.. But as I picked a few books to read and have things my own pace,
I am enjoying it.
On my first day, there were a few bummer: got hit by a bike, got hopelessly lost, at one point I was at the same junction 3 times while I was trying to find my way back to my apartment.. (by the way I am staying in an interesting area, think Whitechapel in London.. which is cool I am very used to it indeed)
I have decided, this trip is all about the food and the locals.
I was at a major supermarket at a department store yesterday, I freaked out when I saw 10 or more varieties of anchovies and artichokes and plum tomatoes. After staring at the shelves for a good 10 minutes (it took me at least an hour to grocery shop last night), I pick what others picked. Also found myself looking for people my age in the cashier queue and observe what they are getting. (That's how I found out about Sangria in carton, that's some awesomeness right there.)
And when they spotted me doing so.. I just smile and they smile back. That's a good sign, no?
Saw my friend's status about fitting in with the locals at Malta with a handlebar moustache, in my case it would be hot pants and some proper make up with tons of mascara. (Barcelonins are hotties!)
Let's see what Day 2 has in store :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


you are telling me.... you are drinking cooking wine????????????
ReplyDelete